It has been awhile. I have been too busy to blog. And had no energy or will. But now I do. Tomorrow is my birthday, and we are going to see Star Wars: The Force Awakens. I will be sure to have some things to say about that! No one has given me any spoilers, and I am quite glad. It will be all surprise!
So what has the SpartanNerd been up to? Besides directing like, five children music events, and falling asleep without realizing it before 9:00 each night, not really much else. I have played some Magic cards here and there. A few drafts, a few modern tournaments, and a few standard tournaments, with a sprinkle of commander. Here is some summarizing…
- Standard. Boring. I want “converge” to work, with Bring to Light. I’d like to play re-animator. But it is currently just too slow. Maybe it will be more possible when the next set comes out, with the promise of the enemy colored tangle lands.
- Modern. I have been playing five-color gifts re-animator, to some success. It is on the slow side. But I am working to speed it up. I recently acquired Liliana of the Veil and a Snapcaster Mage. I think I’ll add another Snap and then the deck will be all I need it to be! Play the funnest cards (Life from the Loam) and bring out the fatties. BAM.
- Speaking of funnest cards, I think I have found what I don’t believe to be fun at all in MTG this year. Infect. Blood Moon. and Iona, Shield of Emeria. I do play Iona, but only if I know I am up against a formidable opponent. Who wants to be told they can’t play their color in a mono-colored deck? Not fun. I generally re-animate something different with those opponents. As for Blood Moon, I was recently looking at building Elf Belcher. Blood Moon is $30. This is recommended for the sideboard. As I played Amulet Bloom, I learned to detest this card. And I hate to think I would play it against someone. I decided to build Borderpost/Restore Balance instead.
- So this brings me to something else! I have encountered lots of different modern decks recently. Decks I have never seen. Borderpost and Elf Belcher are two of those. Another is Storm. So many good players and great fun decks to face.
- Sadly, Stormcrow’s Clubhouse has closed. This was a place where I played a ton of Modern. Now I don’t see any Modern events in the Wizards Event Locator anywhere any time soon. Major sadness.
- I have built a “Crosis the Purger” commander deck, and gone toe to toe with several of the new commander decks. I intend to be reviewing all five of the new decks right here on SpartanNerd.com!
So that was a lot to say!
I didn’t order anything on Cyber Monday or Black Friday. I’m sure Masters of the Universe Classics had some good buys. I noticed that Castle Grayskull sold out finally. I think the Snake Mountain design is terrific. But it has the same problem as Grayskull. Where would I keep it?
There are some new Masters figures coming out with greater detail and lower runs by independent companies. I might just have to get some of those.
I was really tempted to order some of the Four Horsemen’s ravens. And maybe I still will. Or maybe not. Maybe I’ll get some Star Wars stuff instead. I have noticed quite a few new Micro Machines of Star Wars lately. And that makes me want Micro machines again in general…
OK…One more big thing. I am SOOO impressed with the GI Joe 50th anniversary toys. I saw them at Toys R Us, and almost walked out with them then and there!
Ramble ramble. I’m back!